Recovery and Restoration
castle rose during the Norman domination at the end of the XIth century
and belonged to the Benedictine Abbey of S. Eufemia until the time of
Emperor Frederick II. The emperor, who seems to have sojourned in Nicastro
in August 1225, took the castle from the abbey in 1239. It was added to
the list of Castra Exempla, which means it was placed in the registry
of places subject directly to the authority of the crown, and it became
one of the repositories of the state treasure. The tax revenues of the
territorial district that comprehended Calabria and the eastern portion
of Sicily were stored in it.
the outset of the project there were a series of meetings with the Superintendency
of Archaeology of Calabria as well as with the Superintendency of Monuments,
from which emerged a common desire, later an objective, that the restoration
of the castle in its various phases from the evaluation to the execution
of individual jobs be the carried out through a collaboration of various
professionals (director of the works, archaeologists, geologists, geological
technicians, specialists in the preservation of ruins, specialists in
the restoration of ancient walls), and that all these professionals, coordinated
by the directors of the work, should operate under the supervision of
the Superintendencies which in turn are the entities dedicated to the
guardianship and protection of monuments.
As already pointed out, the first phase of the work, which now is for the most part finished, has involved a series of research projects that have yielded a relatively complete appreciation and diagnostic picture of the monument's state of health. Such research must precede any type of work, and the more complete it is the more adequate will be the following work of restoration, either in terms of the structure's historical-monumental profile or its scientific-technical profile. In our case, the research(described next) was carried out in collaboration with specialists in various areas.